Saturday, January 10, 2009

"Together Now" Excerpt 4

“Honey, I’m home!” Warren said as he walked in the door. He shut the door and made his way to the bathroom. Anne was just shutting the door, she stopped when she saw him.

Warren’s left eye was black, and he had stitches. He also had a goose egg on his right cheek.

“How was your date?” Anne asked with shock.

“Well... It was more a series of misfortune really.” Warren responded while rubbing his right shoulder.

“Really? I couldn’t tell. Hold on a second, let me get a towel.” Anne said as she shut the door.

Anne came out of the bathroom wrapped in an over sized towel. It looked much more like a sun dress on her then a towel. Warren had made his way to the couch and laid down. Anne came over and sat by his legs and gently rubbed his chest.

“So what happened?” Anne asked.

“Well I went to the shrink’s office to pick her up. Her name I guess is really Tia.” Warren said not really making much sense. “Anyway, we walked around for about 2 hours talking. I finished the story of how we ended up here. Then, we got to a deserted boardwalk and she robbed me.”

“What? She did this to you?” Anne asked trying to hold back her laughter.

“No, no. It was at gun point.”

Anne no longer had the urge to laugh.

“But the story gets better.” Warren continued. “As you probably already guessed I don’t have my wallet right now. Anyway after she robbed me she took off down the boardwalk. I made my way back to my car. I start heading home when all of a sudden I get pulled over. Apparently I don’t know how to read miles because I got pulled over for driving to slow.”

“Sorry Warren, I need to go get clothes on. This towel just isn’t doing it for me.” Anne said as she got up.

“No worries. I’m not going anywhere.” Warren replied.

While Anne was changing she felt like crying. She knew that no matter what happened to her in life Warren would stick by her. He always seemed to know what to do to help her out. Save for when he was in one of his depressions. Then he was pretty much useless to everyone. She also would be there for him no matter what happened to him, but this situation she had no idea how to help him. She just hoped it didn’t trigger one of those depressions.

She came out of the bathroom in her Tweety bird shirt and jogging pants she had on earlier. Warren loved it when she wore that type of outfit. She looked comfortable.

“Okay so you got stopped by the cops, what happened after that?” Anne asked as she sat back down beside him.

Warren snickered a little before resuming the story.

“So the cop asks me for License and Registration, I explained that I was just robbed by a shrink and I was just trying to get home. He told me to step out of the car and made me take a Breathalyzer. Then I got to do all those fun sobriety tests even though I hadn’t been drinking.”

“So the cop fucked you up this bad?” Anne asked.

“No. He let me go, but impounded my car. So I guess I need to come up with $1500 US to get it back.” Warren replied.

“So how did you get beat up?” Anne asked confused.

“Well, on my way trying to just make it home I ended up running into our friend that I through out of here last night.”

“Let me stop you right there.” Anne said. “He was over here?”

“Yep. You don’t remember?” Warren asked concerned.

“No. I’m pretty sure he slipped something in my drink.” Anne said.

“So you weren’t drunk last night?” Warren asked sitting up.

“No. I had half a beer. I don’t remember anything really past that. Except you said that you were going on a date.” Anne replied feeling ashamed.

“Well, that camera in the corner isn’t mine or yours.” Warren said pointing to the camera set up in the corner. “I didn’t shut it off after he left. You could probably see what happened for yourself when you feel up to it.” Warren suggested to her.

“Yeah. I don’t want to see it right now.” Anne said looking down at her hands. “So you ran into that asshole?”

“I sure did. Well I guess technically it was him and 4 of his friends. Jesse came up and said: ‘Well, well, well. If it isn’t the writer.’ As you already know I tend to talk to much and all 5 of them rushed me. After they beat the shit out of me, I just rolled on my back and tried to piss them more, but they were done with me.”

“So that doesn’t explain how you got the stitches.” Anne pointed out.

“Well as cruel and strange as life is I met a celebrity! Not the greatest or by any means the best role model, but just funny that she stopped and helped me out.” Warren said.

“WHO WAS IT?” Anne asked raising her voice in excitement.

“Lindsay Lohan.” Warren said smiling and nodding.

“Really? I thought she was done in Hollywood.” Anne asked.

“Even so, she still is well recognized. On the way to the hospital I explained that we came here to live out our dreams and thus far have been met with hardship. When she found out I wanted to write, she sort of cringed and it appeared that she thought I wanted to write for one of those paparazzi magazines that are always by the tills. I assured her that I didn’t want to. Anyway, she brought me to the hospital and paid for my medical bill, it was eight hundred dollars just for six stitches! Then she bought me a coffee and drove me home.” Warren finally finished.

“Well I’m just glad your back.” Anne said hugging Warren.

“Me too.” Warren replied hugging Anne back. “Thanks for listening Anne.”

“Thank you for kicking that douche bag out last night.”

“It’s what we do Anne. It’s what we do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is tolerated, not endorsed. Please proceed with caution. Message paid for by the Government of Canada.