Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gauging Success

"Success is not permanent. The same is also true of failure." - Dell Crossword

How successful do you feel right now? Most people will inevitably say not very. In all reality though it depends on how you gauge success. "Well there is only one way to gauge success! It's about how much money you have!" Wrong. If you write music, and you do it because you love music and don't care if you make a single cent, are you successful? I would think so.

I could write the greatest book in the world, but if I choose to just post it on the internet for free, would that make me less successful? I don't think it would. I gauge my success on how happy I can make people. I don't actually know how many people read these rants and musings, however I know people do. If the post here make you angry, depressed, happy or just make you think, then I have been doing my job properly. Some people have even been inspired to write by reading this blog. I would consider that a successful feat.

The problem with properly gauging success is that we - collectively - equate success with money. It doesn't necessarily have to do with money. It matters only if your are good at something, and you feel accomplished after doing it. Money comes. It's readily available. Sometimes it's hard to keep, or have quite enough, but it does come around.

People always say I have no motivation to do anything, or that I will never do anything with my life. I think I'd be a better judge of myself than they would. I may not making money at writing now, but I will. I may not be the most focused person ever, but I can focus long enough to write enough to get my points across. I don't care what anyone thinks of me, because I know what makes me feel accomplished, and that's all that really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is tolerated, not endorsed. Please proceed with caution. Message paid for by the Government of Canada.