Monday, August 24, 2009

Kitchen Life: Ice Mix & Fish

“Welcome back FNG.” Jake said.

FNG nodded and turned towards Matt.

“Hey Matt, um, they said they don't carry ice mix.” FNG said barely audible.

“I know they don’t.” Matt replied. He was walking away to grabbed the clip board to start his line check. FNG followed closely behind him.

“What! You knew that they don’t carry it and you sent me to the store for it! Why?” FNG exasperated.

“Because it’s a running joke. Kind of a initiation to the kitchen. Don’t worry, Frank got pretty pissed about it and that makes me happy.” Matt gleamed.

“I'm not going to get written up, am I?” FNG asked. The sheer look of terror on his face was almost enough to make Matt burst out laughing.

Matt contained his laughter and simply stated, “No, if anything I would be written up.”

Matt’s reassurance didn’t seem to help FNG much. The fear seemed to subside in FNG’s eyes only to be replaced with confusion.

“Why would you be...” FNG started.

“Because I sent the kid I’m suppose to train to the store for a nonexistent product. Look, don't worry about it. Just go back to your station, were almost open.” Matt interrupted.

“Okay.” FNG agreed. He made his way to the fryer station and looked around nervous as if some sort of evil impending doom were to happen at any moment. ‘I feel out of place. I wonder if this fryer basket feels as out of place as I do...’ FNG pondered.

Maggie entered the kitchen and leaned against the patty cooler. She had one thing on her mind...

“Matty. Do you want to make me something to eat?” Maggie whined.

“Not really.” Matt stated.

“Oh come on.” Maggie pressed further.

Matt set down the spatula he was holding, turned to Maggie and said, “I told you Maggie, your not my type. Besides I thought girls didn't like that kind of thing.”

“What thing?” Maggie questioned.

“Nothing.” Matt said. He shook his head at his failed attempt at a quick quip.

“Please!!! I'm really hungry!” Maggie begged.

“Ask Jake. Wait, why don't you ask Frank?” Matt asked. The sarcastic tone implied Matt’s cynicism was firmly intact.

“EW! He is the most grossest guy! And he smells like fish most of the time!” Maggie exclaimed.

“Sounds like you guys have something in common!” Matt jested.

“Who?” Frank asked. He had emerged from the office under Matt’s radar. Maggie decided that the blood rule of 10 feet could also apply to Frank and went to ask Jake if he would make her some food.

“You and Maggie.” Matt replied.

“What makes you think that?” Frank asked.

“You both like fish!” Matt beamed.

“Really? She likes fish?” Frank asked. It seemed to Matt that Frank had more questions then answers.

“Yeah, man! Loves it!” Matt exuberated.

“Fish is disgusting!” Frank stated.

“Kind of like your cologne.” Matt retorted.

“Funny. Speaking of funny, did your trainee come back?” Frank questioned Matt.

“FNG? Yeah, he's back.” Matt answered. Matt was utterly shocked that Frank wouldn’t leave after his cologne comment and wondered why he was still hanging around.

“Good. I'm firing him for being so stupid.” Frank said.

“Hey, no. That's not fair at all. It was a joke, let it go. I mean it's his first week, and you know damn well that was my fault.” Matt defended FNG.

“Fine. But anymore of your antics and you and him are gone!” Frank threatened.

“Sure thing coach. Now go back to the office and do what you do best.” Matt suggested.

“What's that suppose to mean?” Frank asked. As much as he tried to intimidate Matt, it never worked.

“That your good at paperwork?” Matt quipped.

“I mean it Matt, quit fucking around!” Frank said. His voice slightly elevated for effect.

“Whatever you say Chief!” Matt said as he mocked saluted Frank while he walked away.

***

While the cynical and ominous dispute was going on between Frank and Matt, Jake and Maggie were having a light, innuendo filled discussion on the other side of the line.

“Oh and extra cheese! And maybe some more tomatoes! Mmm, This is going be good!” Maggie exclaimed. Her mouth watering at the sight and smell of her meal.

“You know what else is going be good?” Jake chimed in.

“What?” Maggie asked. Her coy attitude implied the usual, ‘I already know, but I want you to tell me anyway’ state of mind.

“Our little romp later.” Jake said. Oh he was good and he knew it.

“Well I hope it's not to little, and that it's more of a hard fucking.” Maggie teased. Oh she was good and he knew it.

Jake put up her meal and said, “Here you are.”

“Thank you Jake.” Maggie said. She looked gingerly at him and blew him a kiss.

“Your welcome.” Jake replied.

The office door slammed shut yet again. Everyone in the kitchen needed to know the dirt.

“What was that about?” Shaun asked. The haze was starting to fade and he was becoming more observant.

“Just our noble kitchen manager playing bad cop.” Matt explained.

“What did you say to him now?” Jake questioned Matt. Jake knew that Matt had did something to get under Frank’s skin.

“Nothing much. He's still pissy about the FNG thing.” Matt replied.

“Franks mad at me?” FNG asked. The terror now back in his eyes.

“No, he's mad at me, but he was going to fire you.” Matt said. He had mentioned the last bit to make it sound humorous, but it didn’t work the way he meant it to.

“WHAT? I did what you told me to do!” FNG fretted.

“I know. That's what I...” Matt started.

“So he's going to fire me?” FNG cut Matt off to exasperate further.

“No. I talked him out of it. Anyway, let's check out your station.” Matt suggested to FNG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is tolerated, not endorsed. Please proceed with caution. Message paid for by the Government of Canada.