Monday, October 25, 2010

Serving God Excerpt

I set the last glass down, received a fairly warm thanks and began to make my way back to Nadia and Dante. I had taken only a few steps away from the table when the young woman addressed the table.

“I know, what is he, like thirty?” She laughed obnoxiously. “And he’s still waiting tables. Maybe he should begin to think about getting a real job.” Another bout of laughter.

I stopped. My neck began to burn in my collar. I set my tray down on the ledge of a bussing booth, turned around and walked back to the table. The anger I felt was like nothing I had ever felt before.

I slapped my hand on the table. The reverberation made everything on the table shake briefly. I stared at her with the coldest look I could muster through the hot anger.

“Thirty-two, actually. I also have a dead wife, would you care to make fun of that as well? Maybe you could jest about my religious background while you’re at it.” My voice came out calmer than I expected.

A look of terror and confusion crossed her face.

“Or how about the fact that I watch Oprah and I write. Got any insights you would care to share with the rest of the table now?”

She looked around at the rest of the people at the table. They all looked as shocked as she did.
“I-- I want to sp--speak to a manager.” The woman said. Her resolute shaky.

“What for? To make a complaint about your server not allowing you the pleasure of shoving dirt in his face? Or possibly the fact that you were so rudely interrupted while you were giving your hurtful opinions and insights into the life of your server?”

“I-- I want . . .”

“No. Let me tell you what you want. You want to make my life as difficult as you can so that you can feel better about your own miserable position in life. Let me ask you something, what is it that you do for a living?”

“I-- I--. I’m a cashier at Save-On.” Her head bowed.

“So if I were to go into your store and begin giving some spit-balled opinion of you to customers in line, just in ear shot of you, would you still find this situation funny?” I tilted my head to the left.

“Well, no.”

“Exactly my point. Now, do you still want to complain about me?”

“I-- I guess not.”

I stared at her for a moment longer. Her head still facing her lap. I slide my hand away from the table and walked away.

‘Wow! I never thought I would ever do that.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is tolerated, not endorsed. Please proceed with caution. Message paid for by the Government of Canada.