Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Genesis: How to create your own mythos!

I have recently got an email about how to come up with your own personal mythos:

TO: "A. Warren Johnson" a.warrenjohnson@hotmail.com

FROM: "Max Jones" weirdsville_kid@hotmail.com

SUBJECT: How do I go about creating a personal myth?

Dear A. Warren,
I am 21 years old and seem t o have problems getting to where I want to be in my life. I have a wnderful girlfriend and an alright job, but I just don't feel happy. I readed your blog on writing a myth about yourself and selling your self to be more useful and get to where I want to be., The problem is that I have no idea how to go about writing a myth about myself. DO yuo have any advice on how to start writing one?

The easiest way to write your own personal myth is to figure out what you want to do with your life. One you have that figured out then you just picture yourself doing what it is that you most want, write adventures about yourself in this myth! Write things you want to accomplish! Write really anything that is logical and believable and you would be able to accomplish.

If your going to write about how you saved a girl from a fire breathing dragon that sort of reminded you of your mother-in-law, then that isn't really attainable and you should seriously reconsider what you are all about.

Another key thing is to stop playing MMORPGs. If you can grasp the concept of moderation, then by all means do it, however if you can't, then you should give up the ghost and do something with your life.

A personal myth doesn't only pertain to writing either. You don't need to know how to write to be able to write yourself doing what you want to do. Really all you are doing when you write a mythos is casting yourself in the lead role of your story. Your myth shouls contain goals and be used as an accomplishment chart of how you are going to go about things.

This may be a bad example but it serves the point of what I'm trying to say here. When Hitler was jail he wrote Mein Kampf which translated mean My Struggles. In this book he detailed how he was going to get into power and become the Furior of Germany. This was his personal mythos. Now you don't have to be a mad man bent on taking over the world to do this.

As a teen I used to write stories about myself through characters I created. Most of these were things that had already happend, but then I wrote a screenplay called Kitchen Life, this movie was never produced so don't bother looking for it. In Kitchen Life Mat is my main character and I ended up becoming that character and I noticed life mimicing art. I wasn't happy supervising in a kitchen and a lot of the story I noticed became reality. However it did serve as a good life lesson.

This can apply to anyone! If you are a recovering drug addict and you seriously don't want that life anymore, then you should write a mythos starting with why you got into that life in the first place, then a series of things that have happend to you to make you start rejecting it, then finally write about where you are in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years. This is pretty much what you do in any situation, but drug addiction is a good example.

The final thing any of you reading this should know is that the myth has to be realistic. It needs ups and downs. When you fail, it's not that you are not good enough to do what you want to do, it's just that you haven't gotten to the point you want to be at yet. Keep with it and you will get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is tolerated, not endorsed. Please proceed with caution. Message paid for by the Government of Canada.