Sunday, August 8, 2010

Best Commerical Ever!

Hello readers,

I felt that after my last rant, I owed you something a little more light. I'm sure I haven't always been cynical, and one such example of a pastoral time was set in the eighties. As my mother has informed me, I used to recite commercials. For whatever reason I would do this wherever I went. The weird part is (as my mother also informed me) most of the time people would actually need the products I was inadvertently advertising.

One such product isn't even sold in Canada, but apparently one time some poor sap heard my rendition (let me assure you, I do not have a singing voice) of a particular commercial that many feel nostalgic about. Whatchamacallit.

For those of you that are too young too remember this commercial, the lyrics are as follows;

Thing-ima-bob, gobble-de-gok, what's it's face? Whatchamacallit. Whatever it is, whatever it was. Chocolaty chocolate. Whatchamacallit. How's it go? Rosendo. Chew, gooey Carmel. Whatchamacallit. Do-hickys, you know what I mean. Pea nutty crispies. Chewy, chocolaty, crunchy, Hershey! Do-dad, skittermaring. More than a mouthful, it's Whatchamacallit.

Now these random words don't seem like much on the page, however, when they are backed by 80s synth drums, bass and strings-- the result is the best commercial ever. This jingle is so catchy that I can guarantee that it will be stuck in your head for a few hours after.

If the jingle itself wasn't catchy enough, the imagery that accompanies it is absolutely fantastic. My personal favorite image in this commercial is a flying saucer being shot by a laser and disintegrated into chocolate.

If you do not know this commercial, I highly suggest you check it out here. While dated by the music style and the strange images, Hershey could air this commercial today and never have to make another ad for Whatchamacallit. Seriously, it is that good.

-A. Warren Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is tolerated, not endorsed. Please proceed with caution. Message paid for by the Government of Canada.